Sunday, January 10, 2010

To Safe Guard the Family...
























As I was studying about the family in the scriptures, I came across this entry in the Bible Dictionary. "Family life is safe guarded with such divine commandments as . . . Exodus 20:12, 14-17." (See also Mosiah 13: 20-24.)

12 ¶ aHonour thy bfather and thy cmother: that thy ddays may be elong upon the fland which the Lord thy God giveth thee.
14 Thou shalt not commit aadultery.
15 Thou shalt not asteal.
16 Thou shalt not bear afalse witness against thy bneighbour.
17 Thou shalt not acovet thy neighbour’s house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s bwife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour’s.

I hadn't thought that those commandments were part of safe guarding the family before. But pondering on it, they really do. Especially the last four. Don't break the trust with your marriage partner by fooling around. Don't be sneaky and take things that don't belong to you (trust issues again). Don't lie about others (is it me, or is that something else dealing with trust?). And be satisfied with what you have.

Perhaps we could say that being satisfied with what you have could cure most of those ills. So that's my goal for today: to not wish for others to change, or for money to spend, or for a secret fairy to come in my sleep and deliver me from my troubles. I suppose that the only one I can wish to change is myself. So far I need to work on the times when I will study the scriptures. The goal I set previously isn't working out yet. I'm making time, just not enough time. More on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment